Hilton will fund 15 teachers to “travel and experience first-hand the subject they teach, enriching their curriculum and inspiring students to explore the world.” Known as the Teacher Treks Travel Grant Competition, Hilton developed the program in partnership with the Institute of International Education (IIE), one of the world’s largest and most experienced international education and training organizations.
K-12 teachers from across the United States and Puerto Rico are invited to enter here (https://hiltonhhonors.promo.eprize.com/teachertreks/:b=firefox18) or at the HHonors Facebook page, facebook.com/HiltonHHonors, to enter their submission by March 15, 2013.
Along with a photo, candidates need to submit:
- Two essays between 300 and 600 words, detailing their proposed global adventure and their plan for sharing their experiences with students and colleagues
- A 140-character entry summary, telling voters why they should win
- A letter of recommendation from their school’s principal
There are also several levels of award winners:
- Winners: 15 winners will receive a trip valued at $6,000 to travel to a destination of their choice; in addition to the trip, each winning teachers’ school will also receive a $2,500 grant to use for cultural activities or enhancements
- Runners-up: 15 runners-up will each receive a $2,500 grant for their school to use for cultural activities or enhancements
- One winner from all submissions will receive a cultural excursion for their classroom valued at $1,500
- From those that voted in the Teacher Treks competition, 10 random winners will receive one Hilton HHonors Gift Card valued at $250
Thirty finalists, for the winner and runner-up positions, will be selected by “a panel of judges that includes teachers and other education experts selected by IIE.” Then, voting will open to the public on Monday, April 8, 2013 with voting closing on Tuesday, April 30, 2013. Each person visiting the website will be able to vote from within the 30 finalists selected by the panel.
Winners will be announced in May of 2013.
For more information, please visit the following website: