Research shows the positive impact of arts integration on students’ cognitive skills, engagement and attitudes about learning. How can states support educators and school leaders as they work to integrate the arts into core curricula? The Education Commission of the States has produced a new Preparing Educators and School Leaders for Effective Arts Integration report to help educators learn more about successful state approaches and the impact on student outcomes.
Arts integration provides states with an opportunity to support students and educators alike. However, successful and sustainable arts integration requires aligned efforts from the state level to local districts. Some strategies that could benefit student achievement and educator effectiveness through the expansion of arts integration include the following:
- Understand arts opportunities in state ESSA plans
- Formalize stakeholder engagement and communications
- Align standards intentionally
- Review credentialing requirements and options for endorsements
- Consider professional development on arts integration
- Explore arts integration as a school improvement strategy